| || |
Cod Liver Oil
Cod Liver Oil InformationCod liver oil is an important natural source of vitamins A and D. It has been used since at least the 18th century as a folk remedy for a digestive aid and appetite stimulant; in the treatment of 'wasting' diseases and rheumatism.
By the early 20th century its medicinal value was linked to the presence of these vitamins. Today, it is used in the treatment of rickets and other diseases, and as an ingredient in animal feeds.
Cod Liver Oil contains Vitamin A, which is essential for the immune system, bone growth, night vision, cellular growth, testicular and ovarian function, Vitamin D, which is essential for the absorption and utilisation of calcium and potassium, which are required for skeletal growth, EPA and DHA, omega 3 fatty acids, which are converted in the body to produce prostaglandins that affect a wide variety of physiological processes due to their modulating effect on the action of hormones. It is thought that EPA and DHA may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. DHA seems essential for normal brain development in unborn babies.
Cod Liver Oil Benefits
- Blood flow may be aided by EPA and DHA, discouraging blood platelets from sticking together.
- EPA and DHA in Cod Liver Oil may help reduce blood pressure.
- May reduce risk for coronary heart disease if regular intakes are given
- Reduces the likelihood of blood clotting, makes the heart less prone to arrhythmias (irregular heart beats)
- Alters the balance of blood fats in a favourable way and reduces the viscosity of blood, thereby faciliting blood flow.
- Good source of vitamin D - needed for maintenance of good bones and teeth
- Vitamin A in cod liver oil is essential for the formation of visual purple (for night vision).
- CLO is rich in Vitamin A, the large amount present is beneficial for skin and mucous membranes.
- Improvements in the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis have been reported in patients taking fish oil supplements.
Cod Liver Oil Products